Authors: Bogatova Yu.I.
Based on monitoring data analysis, the characteristics of the contemporary hydrochemical regime of the formerly closed Kuyalnik Liman, a valuable balneological and recreational object, were compared before and after its connection with the sea (2014-2015). Data showed that filling of the liman with seawater has not worsened its hydrochemical conditions because the content of nutrients (compounds of nitrogen, phosphorus and silicon), determining the biological productivity of the basin, is significantly lower in seawater than in the brine of the liman. After the liman’s recharge by seawater, active development of intrabasin production processes was registered during the warm period, resulting in the formation of autochthonous organic matter (phytoplankton) from which some therapeutic mud will be formed in the future. The input of anthropogenic and natural sources of nutrients in formation of the hydrochemical conditions of the liman was also estimated. In the liman main sources of nutrients were represented by seawater (about 9 mln. m3 during 4 months) – dissolved organic compounds of nitrogen and mineral phosphorus and by atmospheric precipitation (about 16.5 mln. m3 during 11 months in 2015) – dissolved mineral compounds of nitrogen (nitrates) and silicon. Up to 132,000 t of sodium chloride, comprising no more than 1.6 % of the total salt resources of the liman, entered the liman with seawater. The regulated runoff of Bolshoy Kuyalnik river has a low influence on the hydrochemical regime of the liman. The anthropogenic sources of untreated sewage from the adjacent territories containing the ultra-high concentrations of nitrogen (Korsunsovsky ponds) and phosphorus (Luzanovka ponds) mineral compounds have a local influence on the ecosystem, e.g. have relatively low water input.
Tags: hydrochemical regime; Kuyalnik liman; natural and anthropogenic sources; seawater
- Rozengurt M.S. Gidrologiya i perspektivy rekonstruktsii prirodnykh resursov Odesskikh limanov [Hydrology and prospects of reconstruction of natural resources of the Odessa estuaries]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1974. 224 р.
- Zaitsev Yu.P., Aleksandrov B.G., Minicheva G.G. (Eds). Severo-zapadnaya chast’ Chernogo morya: biologiya i ekologiya [The North-Western part of the Black Sea: Biology and Ecology]. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 2006, pp. 67, 407-411.
- Nikipelova E.M. Rezul’taty monіtorynhu koloidno-khіmіchnykh vlastyvostey mulovykh sul’fіdnykh system Kuyal’nytskoho lymanu ta ozera Chokrak [Result of monitoring of koloidno-chemical properties of mud sulphidic systems of the Kuyalnitsky estuary and lake Chokrak]. Tr. Od. polіtehn. un-tu – Works of the Odessa polytechnical university, 2009, vol. 1(13), pp. 169-173.
- Gopchenko E.D., Grib O.N. Otsіnka skladovykh vodnoho balansu Kuyal’nitskoho limanu ta vyznachennya prychyn suchasnoho obmіlіnnya vodoymy [Assessment of components of water balance of the Kuyalnitsky estuary and definition of the reasons of a modern shallowing of a reservoir]. Meteorolohiya, klimatolohiya ta hidrolohiya -Meteorology, climatology and hydrology, 2010, no.51, pp. 200-215.
- Ennan E.E., Shihaleeva G.N., Adobovskiy V.V., Gerasimyuk V.P., Shihaleev I.I., Kiryushkina A.I. Degradatsiya vodnoy ekosistemy Kuyalnitskogo limana i puti ee vosstanovleniya [Degradation of a water ecosystem of the Kuyalnitsky estuary and way of its restoration. Prychernomors’kyy Ekolohіchnyy byuleten’ – Black Sea Ecological bulletin, 2013, no. 1, pp. 127-137.
- Adobovsky V., Bogatova Yu. Osobennosti sovremennogo gidrologo-gidrokhimicheskogo rezhima Kuyal’nitskogo limana i prognoznaya otsenka ego sostavlyayushchikh v usloviyakh vozmozhnogo popolneniya vodoema morskimi i presnymi vodami [Hydrological and hydrochemical conditions of the Kuyalnik liman under conditions of its replenishment with sea and fresh waters]. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž.– Ukrainian hydrometeorological journal – Odessa State Environmental University, 2013, no. 13, pp. 127-137.
- Zagorovsky N.A., Bagdasaryanz A., Okul A.V. O kolebaniyakh gidrologicheskikh i biologicheskikh svoystv Odesskikh limanov [About fluctuations of hydrological and biological properties of the Odessa estuaries]. Tr. Vseukr. in-ta kurortologii i bal’neologii – Works of Ukrainian institute of spa medicine and balneology, 1933, vol. 2, p. 37-44.
- Metody gidrokhimicheskikh issledovaniy okeana [Methods of hydrochemical researches of the ocean]. Moscow: Nauka, 1978, 261p.
- Rukovodstvo po khimicheskomu analizu morskikh vod RD 52.10.243-92 [Guide to the chemical analysis of the sea waters RD 52.10.243-92]. St. Petersburg: Gidrometeoizdat, 1993, 263 p.
- Klimaticheskiy monitor v Odesse [Climatic Odessa monitor]. Available at: http: // www pogodaiklimat.ru/monitor.
- Antanovich V.P., Andronati S.A. Rezul’taty khimiko-analiticheskogo izucheniya rapy i peloidov Kuyal’nitskogo limana v nachal’nyy period ego zapolneniya morskoy vodoy [Results of chemical analysis studying of a brine and peloid of the Kuyalnitsky estuary in an initial stage of its filling with sea water]. Prirodno-resursnyy potencial Kuyal’nitskogo i Khadzhibeyskogo limanov, teritorii mezhlimann’ya: sovremennoe sostoyanie, perspektivy razvitiya. Mater. Vseukrains’koi nauk.-prakt. konf. [Natural and resource capacity of Kuyalnitsky and Hadzhibeysky estuaries, territories between estuaries: modern state, development prospects. Proc. Ukrainian scientific-practical conference], 2015, Odessa, p. 13-15.