Peculiarities of homogeneous areas distribution within the fields of hydrometeorological characteristics in the Northern Atlantic during the cold season
Authors: Serga E.N.
In order to investigate horizontal distribution of hydro-meteorological characteristics, statistical analysis techniques, including multidimensional statistical analysis techniques (for example, factor, cluster analysis etc.) are usually applied. These techniques allow obtaining not only fields of particular characteristic by means of plotting appropriate isolines, but determining entire homogeneous areas with typical representative point which helps to compress information considerably and to reveal boundaries of distribution of certain characteristic within the entire spatial aggregation.
Schemes of zoning of fields of difference for monthly average temperatures “underlying surface-air” at 2 m height, of surface flows of latent heat, of zonal aspects of wind speed in the Northern Atlantic obtained by means of the Universal Iterative Method of Data Clusterization are offered. The obtained clusterization schemes underwent both physical and statistical analyses having good scientific justification. It is shown that distribution of zonal aspect of wind speed has latitudinal direction, and distribution of flows of latent heat and temperature differences has mainly a focal nature. Analysis of variability of boundaries of homogeneous areas, average values of representative vectors, dispersions, mean-square deviations during future time intervals will allow identifying the specific features of climate variability through the example of the fields of hydrometeorological characteristics under study.
Tags: cluster; criterion; heat flow; intracluster dispersion; representative vector; temperature difference
- Stocker T.F., D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner, M. Tignor, S.K. Allen, J. Boschung, A. Nauels, Y. Xia, V. Bex, P.M. Midgley (Eds). IPCC, 2013: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp.1535.
- Lappo S.S., Gulev S.K., Rozhdestvenskiy A.E. Krupnomasshtabnoe teplovoe vzaimodeystvie v sisteme okean-atmosfera i energoaktivnye oblasti Mirovogo okeana [Large-scale heat interaction in the ocean-atmosphere system and energy active areas of the World Ocean]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1990. 335 p.
- Kulaichev A.P. Metody i sredstva kompleksnogo analiza dannyh [Methods and means for complex date analysis]. Moscow: INFRA-M, 2006. 276 p.
- Lagutin M. B. Naglyadnaya matematicheskaya statistika [Transparent mathematical statistics]. Moscow: P-centr, 2003. 347 p.
- Shkolnyi E.P., Loeva I.D., Goncharova L.D. Obrobka ta analiz hidrometeorolohichnoi informatsii [Processing and analysis of the hydrometeorological data]. Kiiv,1999. 578 p.
- Jain A., Murty M., Flynn P. Data clustering: A review. ACM Computing Surveys, 1999, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 264–323.
- Lance G.N., Willams W.T. A general theory of classification sorting strategies. 1. Hierarchical systems. Comp. J., 1967, no. 9, pp.373–380.
- Mandel’ I.D. Klasternyi analiz [Cluster analysis]. Moscow: Finansy i Statistika, 1988. 339 p.
- Serga E.N. Universal’nyi iteratsionnyi metod klasterizatsii dannyh [The universal iterative method of clusterization data]. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž. – Ukranian hydrometeorological journal, 2013,. no. 13. pp. 112-123.
- Sluzhba dannykh ЕСMWF ERA-40. [ Data Service ESMWF ERA-40]. Available at: http://www.ecmwf.int/products/data.
- Gorshkov S.G. (Ed.) Atlas okeanov. Atlanticheskiy i Indiyskiy okeany [Atlas of the Oceans. Atlantic and Indian Oceans]. Leningrad: GANIO Publ., 1977.