Authors: Bogatova Yu.I., Sekundak L.Yu., Kirsanova E.V.
The article describes the quality of the aquatic environment of Khadzhibeyskyi Liman (one of the largest closed reservoirs of the north-western Black Sea region) based on the analysis of the results of hydrochemical studies conducted in July 2016. This is a valuable balneological, recreational and fishery reservoir whose southern part has been accepting sewage water from Odessa for over 100 years. According to hydrochemical indicators ecosystem of the southern part of the liman is characterized as eutrophic with a high level of nitrogen and phosphorus compounds caused by anthropogenic discharge from the Severnaya Biological Treatment Station. High concentrations of ammonium nitrogen (0.100 mgN·m-3), nitrites (0.102 mgN·dm-3) and maximum Liman’s concentration of nitrates (1.629 mgN·dm-3) were discovered in the surface layer near the functioning discharge of the Biological Treatment Station with high concentrations of ammonium nitrogen (0.772 mgN·dm-3) and phosphates (0.457 mgP·dm-3) observed in the near-bottom layer.
During monitoring near-bottom hypoxia was recorded at the stations with a depth of 8–12 m. It developed after settling and decomposition of dead suspended organic matter (phytoplankton) under conditions of slow hydrodynamics. Maximum Liman’s concentrations of ammonium nitrogen, phosphates and silicon were observed in the Liman’s near-bottom layer at the stations with hypoxia.
Liman’s bottom sediments perform a cumulative function and determine the intensity of substance flows at the “water-bottom sediments” border, have influence on its hydrochemical regime. Concentrations of mineral and organic substances in bottom sediments’ pore water are several times higher than the ones in the Liman’s near-bottom layer, especially at the stations with hypoxia.
Tags: anthropogenic discharge; biogenic substances; bottom sediments; hydrochemical regime; Khadzhibeyskyi Liman; антропогенные стоки; антропогенные стоки; биогенные вещества; биогенные вещества; гидрохимический режим; гидрохимический режим; донные отложения; донные отложения; Хаджибейский лиман; Хаджибейский лиман
- Gopchenko E. D., Shakirzanova Zh. R. Assessment of the filling of the Hadzhibey estuary with surface waters and long-term forecasting of its condition in the spring period of the year. Aktual’nye problemy limanov severozapadnogo Prichernomor’ya [Actual problems of estuaries of North-West of the Black Sea]. Odessa: TES, 2011, pp. 69-207. (In Russian)
- Perestoronina S. Yu., Perestoronin I. L. Izvestiya Yuzhnogo federal’nogo universiteta – Proceedings of the Southern Federal University, 2002, issue 6, vol. 29, pp. 141-145. (In Russian)
- Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Ivanov V. A., Sapko O. Yu. Otsenka vliyaniya beregovykh antropogennykh istochnikov na kachestvo vod Odesskogo rayona severo-zapadnoy chasti Chernogo morya [Assessment of the impact of coastal anthropogenic sources on the quality of waters in the Odessa region of the northwestern part of the Black Sea]. Sevastopol: SPC «ЕKOSI-Gidrofizika», 2011. 69 p.
- Rozengurt M. S. Gidrologiya i perspektivy rekonstruktsii prirodnykh resursov Odesskikh limanov [Hydrology and prospects of reconstruction of natural resources of the Odessa estuaries]. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1974. 224 р.
- Zhuravleva L. A., Aleksandrova N. G. Gidrokhimicheskiy rezhym [Hydrochemical Regime]. Limany Severnogo Prichernomor’ya [Limans of the Northern Black Sea Coast]. Kyev: Naukova Dumka, 1990, pp. 29-69.
- Zaitsev Yu. P., Aleksandrov B. G., Minicheva G. G. (Eds). Severo-zapadnaya chast’ Chernogo morya: biologiya i ekologiya [The North-Western part of the Black Sea: Biology and Ecology]. Odessa branch of the Institute of Biology of Southern Seas of NASU. Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 2006, pp. 391–401.
- Starushenko L. Y., Bushuev S. H. Prichernomorskie limany Odesshchiny i ikh rybokhozyaystvennoe ispol’zovanie [Black Sea estuaries of Odessа region and their fishery use]. Odessa: Astroprint, 2001. 152 p.
- Shekk P. Naukovyy visnyk Skhidnoyevropeys’koho universytetu im. L. Ukrayinky. Zoolohiya – Scientific bulletin of The L. Ukrayinka Eastern University. Zoology, 2015, no. 2. pp. 76–82. (In Russian)
- Guide to the chemical analysis of the RD 52.10.243-92 sea waters. St. Petersburg: Gidrometeoizdat, 1993, 263 p. (In Russian)
- Redfield A. C. On the proporion of organic derivatives in sea water and their relation to the composition of plankton. James Johnstone Memorial Volume University Press, Liverpool, 1934, pp. 176–192.
- Romanenko V. D., Zhukyns’kyy V. M, Oksyyuk O. P. Metodyka vstanovlennya i vykorystannya ekolohichnykh normatyviv yakosti poverkhnevykh vod sushy ta estuariyiv Ukrayiny [The methodology of the installation and the certification of ecologic norms for anchor surface waters of the land and Ukraine]. Kyyiv, 2001. 48 p.
- Mizandrontsev I. B. Khimicheskie protsessy v donnykh otlozheniyakh vodoemov [Chemical processes in bottom sediments of reservoirs]. Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1990. 175 p.