Authors: Youssef El Hadri, Khokhlov V.M.
The energy system in Morocco is strongly dependent on external energy markets. Currently, Morocco imports more than 93% of energy. In 2009, the Moroccan Government has developed a National Energy Strategy containing ways to increase a generation of renewable energy in the country. This study aims to identify features of current wind regime in Morocco in order to assess the resources of wind energy.
The data on the wind speed from 25 meteorological stations in Morocco for the period 2005-2014 were used to calculate the values of annual mean wind speed and the frequency of different wind speeds. The comparison of annual mean wind speed for the periods 1980-1999 and 2005-2014 showed that the recent values have increased especially in 2011-2014.
Light wind prevails at most stations of Morocco. Nevertheless, moderate and fresh wind prevails near the Gibraltar Strait, the Atlantic coast and in the southern part of country. These stations are Tan-Tan and Dakhla located in the southern part of the Atlantic coast. At these stations, the frequency of wind speeds below 5 m/s is the 34% and 17% respectively. This allows concluding that the conditions for wind power plants are favorable in southern part of the Atlantic coast.
Tags: Frequency; Wind Conditions; wind speed; повторяемость; повторяемость; режим ветра; режим ветра; скорость ветра; скорость ветра
- Fischedick М. Renewable Energy Transitions in Jordan and the MENA Region. Amman: Friedrich Ebert Stiftung. 2015. URL:http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/amman/ 12045.pdf (аccessed 28 April 2017)
- Kiseleva S. V., Rafikova Yu. Yu. The use of climate databases to assess the natural resource and technical potential of wind energy. Vestnik agrarnoy nauki Dona – Don Agrarian Science Bulletin, 2010, no. 1. рр. 27-32. (In Russian)
- Rekomendatsii po opredeleniyu klimaticheskikh kharakteristik vetroenergeticheskikh resursov [Recommendations for the determination of climatic characteristics of wind en-ergy resources]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1989. 80 p.
- Nfaoui H., Buret J., Sayigh A. A. M. Wind characteristics and wind energy potential in Morocco. Solar Energy, 1998. vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 51-60.
- Nfaoui H., Essiarab E., Sayigh A.A.M. Wind energy and its economy in south of Morocco. Proceedings of the 8th World Renewable Energy Congress. 28 August – 3 September 2004. Denver, Colorado (USA), 646 р.
- Nfaoui H., Buret J., Sayigh A. A. M. Stochastic simulation of hourly average wind speed sequences in Tangiers (Morocco). Solar Energy, 1996, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 301-314.
- Metodicheskie ukazaniya «Provedenie izyskatel’skikh rabot po otsenke vetroenergeticheskikh resursov obosnovaniya skhem razmeshcheniya i proektirovaniya vetroenergeticheskikh ustanovok». RD 52.04.275-89. [Methodical in-structions “Carrying out of prospecting works for the evaluation of wind energy resources for the justification of layouts for the layout and design of wind power plants”. RD 52.04.275-89] Moscow: Goskomgidromet, 1991. 57 p.
- Slizhe M. O., Semergey-Chumachenko A. B., El’ Hadri Yu. Current distribution of wind in Morocco. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž. – Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Journal, 2016, no. 17, pp. 61-70. (In Russian). http://uhmj.odeku.edu.ua/ uk/sovremennoe-raspredelenie-vetra-v-marokko/
- Born K., Christoph M., Fink A. H., Knippertz P., Paeth H., Speth P. Moroccan Climate in the Present and Future: Combined view from Observational Data and Regional Climate Scenarios. Climatic Changes and Water Resources in the Middle East and North Africa: Part of the series Environmental Science and Engineering, 2008. pp. 29-45. (Eds.: Zereini F. H., Hötzl A. A.)
- Gavrilov N. I. Marokko [Morocco]. Moscow: Geografgiz, 1998. 187 p.
- Kobysheva N. V., Narovlyanskiy G. Ya. Klimaticheskaya obrabotka meteorologicheskoy inoformatsii [Climate processing of meteorological information]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1978. 296 p.