Authors: Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Kushnir D. V., Hryb O. M.
Results of 3D hydrodynamic computations are presented to analyse the wind-induced circulation of water and the skewness in the heights of water level marks in the Kuialnytskyi Lyman Lagoon under stationary winds with the speed of 5 m/s and various directions.
The computations were performed using a Delft3D-FLOW model on a curvilinear grid. The model was verified against the data obtained from synchronous measurements of the water level variability, which were conducted at three different points on the lagoon water surface in 2016.
It was found that under winds, which are longitudinal to the meridional lagoon axis, strong, extensive and unidirectional in depth currents are formed along the depth slope in the coastal regions. The direction of these extensive currents corresponds to the meridional component of the wind velocity vector. Gradient compensative bottom currents, directed inversely to the wind direction, are formed along the longitudinal axial line of the lagoon.
Under transversal to the meridional lagoon axis winds, strong, extensive alongshore currents in the central and southern parts of the lagoon are not formed; drift currents and intensity of barotropic circulation on the lagoon water surface weaken; spatial structure of the barotropic water circulation is characterized by the presence of a multitude of small-scale cyclonic and anticyclonic eddies.In the southern and central parts of the lagoon, between its western and eastern shores, circulating cells in the vertical plane are formed in the water column.
It is shown that even relatively weak winds can significantly change the water surface area of the lagoon and thus influence the evaporation volumes.
Tags: modelling; North-Western Black Sea coast; the Kuialnytskyi Lyman Lagoon; water table; wind-induced currents; вітрові течії; водне дзеркало; Куяльницкий лиман; моделювання; Північно-західне Причорномор’я
- Loboda N. S., Gopchenko E. D. (Eds.) Vodnyy rezhym ta hidroekolohichni kharakterystyky Kuyal’nyts’koho lymanu [Water conditions and hydroecological characteristics of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman Lagoon: Proceedings of Odessa State Environmental University]. Odessa: TES, 2016. 332 p.
- Bogatova Yu. I. Hydrochemical conditions of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman Lagoon in the modern period. Vìsn. Odes. derž. ekol. unìv. – Bull. of OSENU, 2016, no. 20, pp. 61-68. http://bulletin.odeku.edu.ua/wpcontent/uploads/ 2016/08/6-BOGATOVA.pdf. (in Russian).
- Enan A. A., Shikhaleeva G. N., Sizo A. V., Babinets S. K. Using GIS for water quality assessment of Kuyalnik Lyman, on the basis of hydro chemical parameters. Odesa National University Herald. Chemistry, 2010, vol. 15, no. 13, pp. 61-71. (in Russian).
- Tuchkovenko Yu. S., Kushnir D. V. Results of numerical modelling of the annual variability of characteristics of hydrological conditions in the Kuialnytskyi Lyman Lagoon. Ukr. gìdrometeorol. ž. – Ukr. hydrometeor. J., 2016, no. 17, pp. 137-148. http://uhmj.odeku.edu.ua/wpcontent/uploads/2016/07/15Tuchkoven_Kushnir.pdf. (in Ukrainian).
- Timchenko, V. M. Ekologo-gidrologicheskie issledovaniya vodoemov Severo-Zapadnogo Prichernomor’ya [Environmental and Hydrological Researches into the Water Bodies in the North-Western Black Sea Region: Proceedings of Institute of Hydrobiology of NASU]. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka, 1990. 240 p.
- Rozengurt, M. Sh. Gidrologiya i perspektivy rekonstruktsii prirodnykh resursov Odesskikh limanov [Hydrology and Prospects for Natural Resources Rearrangement in the Lagoons of the Odessa Region]. Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 1974. 224 pp.
- Delft3D-FLOW – Simulation of multi-dimensional hydrodynamic flows and transport phenomena, including sediments, User Manual, Hydro-Morphodynamics, Version 3.15. Delft, The Netherlands: Deltares systems, 2017. 702 p. http://oss.deltares.nl/documents/183920/ 185723/Delft3DFLOW_User_Manual.pdf. (accessed 23 May 2017).
- Loboda N. S. (scient. chief) Scientific research work on hydrological, hydrochemical, hydrobiological and biomedical inspection of the conditions of the Kuialnytskyi Lyman Lagoon and seawater from the Odessa Bay (hydrological survey) for 2016. Final report. UkrNTEI database, Library of Odessa State Environmental University, 2016, State Registration No. 0116U007903. 263 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Meteopost – Arkhiv meteodannykh v Odesse [Meteopost. Meteorological data repository in Odessa]. http://meteopost.com/weather/archive/ (accessed 16 May 2017).
- Meteopost – Klimat Odessy (klimaticheskaya norma) [Meteopost. Odessa climate (climatic standard)]. http://meteopost.com/weather/climate-normals/odessa/ (accessed 16 May 2017).
- Kazakov A. L. On the use of various information on the wind in applied research. Meteorolohiya, klimatolohiya ta hidrolohiya – Meteorology, climatology and hydrology, 2005, no. 49, pp. 190-203. (In Russian).
- Klimatychnyy kadastr Ukrayiny (standartni klimatychni normy za period 1961-1990) [Climatic cadaster of Ukraine (climatic standard for the period 1961-2000)]. http://www.cgo.kiev.ua/index.php?dv=pos-klim-kadastr (accessed 18 July 2017).
- Kocyigit M. B., Falconer R. A. Modelling of wind-induced currents in water basins. Water Management, 2004, no. 157, pp. 197-210.
- Chow Ven Te Open channel hydraulics. New-York: McGraw-Hill, 1959. 680 p.
- Richardson L. F. Atmospheric diffusion shown on a distanceneighbor graph. Proc. R. Soc., 1926, no. 110, ser. A, pp. 709-737.